Monday, February 14, 2011

The Big V Day

Happy Valentine's Day.

I don't really think of V Day as a day just for lovers anymore.   I think of it more as a day to just celebrate my loved ones.  All of them.   So, today I celebrate my husband, my children, our parents and siblings and their families, our extended family, our friends and you.  Some of you may fall into more than one these categories.  Woo, double celebration!

Through the years, I have had some very memorable Valentine's Days.  Most included a whole lot of money being spent.   One year, Darin treated me to a night out on the town, with a romantic dinner at a beautiful restaurant, taking in some bands and dancing at several night spots, finished off with a stay in wonderfully luxurious hotel, champagne and strawberries.    Seriously, it's hard to top that.  He set the bar so high.


Most years included spoiling the kids with cards, candy and some kind of momento, a nice dinner and lots of treats. 

One year, Lexi helped me turn my dining room into a romantic little bistro setting and I made a four course romantic dinner for Darin and I.   I think I may have a picture...


That was one of the best memories.  I believe that after dinner, we put on some music and danced in our living room. 











Thank goodness Lexi was there to help provide some creative decor ideas.  We used items I already had.  And overall, it was an inexpensive, but lovely, romantic and memorable evening.


This year, ummm, today, we can't afford to go out for dinner, or buy a bunch of candies, stuffies, or jewelry, etc.

So I am going to bless my family and celebrate how much I love them by doing some of the things I do best.  I am cooking a lovely meal consisting of rosemary roasted potatoes, some kind of chicken dish to be determined yet, cheesy cauliflower (a family favorite) and salad, followed by a sinfully rich and delicious red velvet cake at a beautifully set table with candles, sparkling cider (my girls LOVE to drink bubbly drinks from stemware!) , and love notes strewn about.   It's simple.   It's LOVE-ly.   I can't wait.

What are your plans?

1 comment:

  1. Your plans sound awesome Shari!
    For the first time in years I haven't planned a thing. Don't have a clue if Karl has either - usually I am the one pushing for it. This year I decided no push. Will see what happens...
    I am sure you will read it in my blog *grin*

    ReplyDelete

your turn to share....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

networked blogs