Julia Child. So strong, yet warm and vulnerable. So Passionate.
Julie. So vulnerable, narcissistic and tender. So Passionate.
I love both their husbands.
They all inspire me.
I want to do a dinner club. I have thought about this for several years. Pushed to the back of my mind during my 3 year stint as the full-time working mom of 4.
But, it has been on my mind again. I discussed it with a friend a week or so ago. She has often thought of the idea also.
Here is what I envision. A small group of women (and/or men, why not?!?!) who love to cook and entertain coming together once a month or so. Hosting the dinner would rotate. Each dinner would have a theme. French, Italian, Indian, Asian, or a particular food (a la Iron Chef) etc. And each person would contribute one course.
Sounds like fun. Right?
It does require some planning. It requires someone to find participants, coordinate and plan. Herein lies the problem. I don't know if my schedule can take another commitment.
But I long to try recipes and cook for people other than my husband and kids. Although they are all wonderful, cooking for a family can sometimes hold you back. As in, no one in my house likes lamb, or mushrooms, or spinach, or lemon desserts. I love all these things. So, when do I get to cook these things?
I don't.
This is where a dinner club would satisfy this longing to try more, better, different....
So I will plan. It may take a year to pull it together. Maybe a couple.
Have you ever done one of these? Do you have advice on inspiration, practical ways to organize, themes, anything???

I have a group of friends who've been doing this for years. Sometimes they do potluck, sometimes one person hosts and someone else brings wine/dessert, sometimes they restaurant. They do it couples, but anything could work.
ReplyDeleteI've wanted to do the same thing too but have never pulled it together...
Hi Lori!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the input! That sounds like it would be a good way to do it, change up the format every so often.
I'm thinking it would be sans spouses, except for one in awhile. This way it would free up the participants to try new things that maybe their spouse aren't into. Speaking in terms of food, of course! lol