Chapter Three - Considering Mothers
As a teenager, I did a lot of babysitting. I had a few families that I was the babysitter for. I enjoyed being with the kids most of the time. I had few bad experiences with out of control kids, but mostly I liked the kids and they liked me. But, what I loved the most was looking after babies. Oh sure, there is a lot about caring for babies that is not glamorous. However, there was nothing like rocking a baby to sleep. Or seeing a chubby little face light up with a smile when you walk into the room.
One such baby that I cared for was Christina. She was as cute as you could get. I started babysitting her when she was about 5 months old. Just a couple hours here and there at first. She was a little fussy with me, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed taking her for walks in her stroller and getting her to laugh. Over time, as I started babysitting her quite regularly. We had developed our own little bond.
Then it happened that I was asked to look after Christina overnight. I was a little nervous. But, she was a little older now, about 9 months old I think. Everything went well until about 3:30 am when I was awaken by the sound of a baby crying. That was a little startling as I was only 15 or 16 at the time, and had never experienced that before. As I groggily made my way into her room, she looked at me and cried a little harder. It was a first for her too. I lifted her up, and gave her a little cuddle, changed her diaper, then sat down in the rocking chair, wound up the music box and starting humming in her ear.
As Christina relaxed in my arms and started to doze off, a thought came to me that I had never thought before. I wondered if my birth mother had ever had another child. Did she ever sit and hold a baby like this and think of me? I prayed for her that night, that she could somehow know that I was okay and had a good family.
And, as I laid Christina into her crib, I thought about what it would be like to one day be a mother myself. And then my thoughts drifted to my Mom and Dad. Memories flooded back to me. I remembered baking with my mom when I was still too little to reach the counter and had to stand on a chair. I remembered my mom holding me and comforting me as I had to get some stitches. I remembered my dad reading bedtime stories and giving me piggy-back rides. I knew that they were going to amazing grandparents one day. I gave thanks to God for them and went back to bed.
Read the whole story
.
How brave of you to do an overnight at that age! :) That's pretty amazing that even at 15 or 16 you had the compassion to pray for your birth mother's happiness. If you had that kind of empathy at that age, you must be an amazing woman now. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is great! :) I love babies, too! They're so cute! & when you make them happy, it feels like such an accomplishment ;D
ReplyDelete*Hugs!*
Jordan