Friday, April 15, 2011

Story of a Girl, Chapter 4

Chapter Four - Traveling the Road Paved With Good Intentions



By the time I graduated high school, I had come to the conclusion that I did not want to have children of my own. Oh, I liked kids. In fact, I wanted to gear my career towards working with children somehow. But, I had convinced myself that it was never going to be in the cards for me to be a mother. This was mostly because I believed that no man would ever want to marry me. I had, by the ripe old age of seventeen, convinced myself that I would be alone forever. You have to love the insecurity, and tendency towards drama of a teenage girl.



Imagine my surprise when I found myself married only two short weeks before my nineteenth birthday. About a month after we were married, we went on our “honeymoon”. I don't remember how much time we took, but we had decided to travel to Vancouver Island. There were some places my husband, Cam, wanted to visit before we made our down to Victoria for a couple days.



It just so happens that I was born in a small town on Vancouver Island. So, seeming as how we were in the area, I asked if we could visit that town. I wanted to see the hospital where I was born. And it wasn't so much that I wanted to go there to see if I could find my birth mother. I just wanted to see where I was born.



All my life, everyone else seemed to know so much about the day they were born. For example, everyone else seemed to know what time they were born, how much they weighed, how long they were, and how long their mothers were in labor. All I knew was the name of a hospital, the date of my birth and that I was extremely jaundice and spent some time in intensive care. I was jealous of people who knew the whole story about their birth. This is the only hang-up I had over being adopted. I felt a little ripped off that the social worker who handled my adoption didn't give my parents a moment by moment account of my birth. I wonder if my mom felt that way too. I will have to ask her some time.



As Cam and I drove up to the hospital, he asked if I wanted to go in. I was a little surprised. I really just wanted to drive by, but seeming as how we are here, maybe it would be neat to see the nursery where I spent the first couple months of my life. As we wondered the hall through the maternity wing, Cam stopped a nurse and asked about speaking to someone about birth records. I remember thinking, “What is he doing? Why is he doing this?” But it was all a little surreal to me. I was feeling a little disconnected and confused. I followed along behind as the nurse lead down to an office corridor and introduced us to someone in records. I can't really remember the details of the conversation that followed, except that Cam asked a lot of questions and we were told that under the circumstances of my adoption, my records would be sealed and the only way to access them would be to apply to some government agency, and see if my birth mother also applied. Only when both parties have submitted application can those records be opened.



Still in a fog, I was feeling a little resentful that my husband was pushing me. He actually wanted to go find out right then and there to find out where we could go to submit this application. I, however, did not want to do that. I just wanted to be a new wife on her honeymoon. Seeming as how I am one to avoid confrontation at almost all cost, I quietly made excuses as to why we should just forget about it for now and continue on our way. I stared out the window and tried not to let Cam see the tears that were rolling down my cheeks. He would surely interpret them as disappointment in regards to what we were told at the hospital. I didn't want to have to tell them that they were tears of disappointment, but not because of what we were told, rather for the fact that he even asked. However, I stuffed the bad feelings down and decided to put it behind us. After all, he meant well. Right?





Read the whole story

.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a hard one to make sense of. I'm really enjoying reading about your journey. It's one of my most favorite things about blogging, how real and honest people are. Congrats on your courage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I am enjoying writing about this. My story is a pretty happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww - I don't even remember you going to the island after you got married

    ReplyDelete

your turn to share....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

networked blogs