It's friendship Friday and I have the honor of being featured as the friend of the week over on Create With Joy's blog. I'm so excited to be featured!!
Question Of The Week
Think Back To Your Childhood.
What Are Some Of The Things You Wanted To Be
When You Grew Up?
Did You Ever Accomplish Any Of Them?
Why Or Why Not?
Think Back To Your Childhood.
What Are Some Of The Things You Wanted To Be
When You Grew Up?
Did You Ever Accomplish Any Of Them?
Why Or Why Not?
For me, that is a bit of a loaded question. I had wanted to be so many different things at different times of my childhood. So where to begin...
When I was very young, I wanted to be a singer, dancer and actress. Then, when I was in about third grade, I added that I wanted to be a nurse for animals. (side note: yes, I know that is not what they are called, but that is what I wrote in my memory book as a child) Of course, I still also wanted to be a singer, dancer and actress.
When I was in fifth grade, I decide that I wanted to be a teacher. I think deep inside, I still wanted to sing, dance and act, but I didn't people that anymore. Teaching continued to be my goal until I got to high school.
The high school years are supposed to help you form some plan as to what career you would like to pursue. For me, however, these were the start of the lost years. Yes, I no longer had any idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. But, after a couple of years, I discovered that I took some accounting classes. I really enjoyed writing numbers in those teeny tiny squares. So I decided to be an accountant and started planning the rest of my high school classes to set me up with business certification that would transfer as college credit. But, by my 12th grade year, I had learned that I really didn't like accounting, or any of my business related classes.
I did however, love to read and write. I wrote short stories all the time. And even attempted a novel or two. Hmmm, I wonder if I kept those.
Somewhere between applying for college and registering for my classes, I had changed my mind several times. Somehow, and I really don't remember how this happened, but I ended up in Early Childhood Education classes at night school. It was during my practicums that I discovered that I don't really like small children. Oh, individually, they are great. But in large groups, they terrify me. This was clearly not the right career path for me. So I worked a day job that I hated and finished out the first year of classes, then dropped out.
I got married that year and was a mother within a couple of years. I had always intended on going back to school one day and doing something. But, here I am, 42 years old and I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up.
Oh, you say that I am already grown up?
Pffft!
Never!
Oh, I guess I have achieved one thing...
... dancer!
WOOT!

Hi Shari,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being the featured friend at Friendship Friday! I too wanted to be a dancer when I grew up. Well, I can belly dance :-)
Then you too are a dancer!!!
DeleteThanks so much for stopping in. I'm heading over to check out your blog now!
Way to go on being this week's Friend of the Week :) I'm with you on not being quite grown up yet! Love your insight and loved your featured post from last week's Friendship Friday! Have an awesome weekend!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Michelle.
DeleteHappy Saturday! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and following through LF. I've just returned the ♥! I noticed you post about homemade oreo cookies, yum! That's what my weekend project was going to be, but I was going to put green filling for St. Pat's Day.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend :)
Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com
Very interesting read and great dancer pic! I've always wanted to try belly dancing. When I was in college, I danced with a group called Nagina Indian Dancers. We wore traditional attire, and mixed traditional and modern dance from India in our routines. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being selected this week.
Now following you from Friendship Friday with Create with Joy.
I love the way you see and live life! A fruitloop in a world of cheerios! Wonderful! Yes I too have never grown up and I don't work too (at least it doesn't feel like work, just play)! Bless you and keep dancing! :)
ReplyDelete