Friday, April 29, 2011

Story of a Girl, Chapter 6

Chapter Six – The Joy of Motherhood



Before I knew it, I was young mother of two healthy, wonderful children. I was only twenty when Joshua was born. It was only two days less than a year later when Alexandra was born. I really didn't know what I was doing. But, I loved being a mom. If you had asked me then, I would have told that I wanted to just keep having babies until I couldn't anymore. I was very much in love with my babies and with being a mom.



When Josh's birth was nearing, I had asked Mom to be there through the labor and when he was born. She was very nervous about that. My mom had confessed in the weeks leading up to Josh's birth that she was both excited and anxious about meeting her grandchild as she had never cared for or even held a brand new baby before. My brother was six weeks old when Mom and Dad brought him home, and I was five months. My mom felt ill-equipped, but I assured her that she would be fine. As things would have it, Josh was born by cesarean and Mom and Dad were on their bi-annual hunting trip when the time came. They made daily trips from their campsite back down to the highway to use a phone and check in with us. They came home when he was born. They got to come meet him the next day. It was very moving to see my mom hold Josh. Tears streamed down her cheek as she kissed him over and over. Dad just smiled from ear to ear the entire time he held the baby.



In the weeks that followed Josh's birth, my mom and dad came to visit as often as their schedule and I would allow. Mom felt so bad that she wasn't able to offer advise or insight as I struggled with breast feeding. However, she was such a proud Grandma, and enjoyed learning right along with me.



Grandma and Grandpa continued to spend as much time as possible with Josh during his first year. Then, came Lexi. Also born by cesarean, my parents were again thrilled to experience a newborn grandchild. When it was time to come home from the hospital, my mom came and picked us up. Mom had recently had surgery herself and was not yet 100%, but would not pass up the opportunity to stay with me for a week or so while I adjust to having two babies and recover from surgery. As exhausted as I was, and as foggy as my memory is during those first few days home, I do remember that I was loving sharing the experience with my mom. I think we bonded on a whole new level.



Through those early years of being a mother, I would occasionally consider my birth mother. I wondered if they had let her hold me or even see me. I imagined how hard it must have been to do what she did. I think that most women who make the choice to give up a baby for adoption must feel like someone just ripped a part of their heart right out. Even under the most horrific conditions of an unplanned pregnancy, there is an undeniable bond between a mother and the child that stirs in her womb. I cannot even fathom the amount of emotional pain one must go through to make the choice to give up a child. Nor do I want to.



I am just thankful that my birth mother put herself second and me first. The painful sacrifice she made is the reason I am who I am. She gave me life, twice. Not just by giving birth to me, but also by loving me enough to give me a better life. And nothing has given me more gratitude for her choice than becoming a mother myself, and watching my parents be the loving grandparents that they are.

8 comments:

  1. Another wonderful chapter in the story of you. I remember feeling much the same way after my first daughter was born, I thought I could just keep doing this forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your "chapters"! I have yet to hold a newborn... lol ;)

    xoxo
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! it has been a joy to share!

    Jordan - Soo many newborn holding years ahead of you yet! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following your stories, and admire your belief's, and presentations, love the song "Everything to Me", the choices a Mother to be, have to make are painstakingly overwhelming, to say the least! The saddest thing is 30 yrs ago and before that, how many adopted babies will never ever find out who their 'birth' parents are, because society was sooo closed minded, and stifled, to say the least....back then! And the other horrific choices a Mom to be had to make , because of the fear of being unwed and pregnant! :( Bravo, that we, as Woman have come a long way Baby in today's society!
    I just thank God you and your 'Birth' Mother have found one another, and for those other adopted have found and kept in touch with theirs! Godbless! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. My blog, I put anonymous, cause I wasn't sure where the window, when posted it said google was going...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Shari, for leaving a comment on my blog, was surprised to see someone had read my blog. I checked out your blog, you write well. True, giving up a baby for adoption is by far one of the most hardest things to do. What carried me through was that God understood totally, for He gave His only begotten son to this world, that we might have life and have it more abundantly. PS I ahve a Dutch Oven and love it. I would encourage you to get one, I do everything in it. Going to make "stuffed green pepper soup" in the next few days....yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Shari~ would you consider adding the new 'follow by email' gadget to your blog? I'm going through and adding all of my favorite blogs so that I can both simplify my life and also guarantee I don't miss a great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Follow by email is added! Thanks for asking.

    Chapter 7 probably won't be up until next week.

    ReplyDelete

your turn to share....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

networked blogs