Monday, February 13, 2012

Mouth Watering Chicken Chili or Stew or Chilli or ....





I love comfort food. Chili's, soups and stews are where it's at, baby! Of course, I am also a pasta-holic, so pasta is also where it's at. And, my all time favorite food is a perfectly grilled steak. But, I digress. I found a recipe for Chicken Black Bean Chili online and didn't copy my source and now I have no idea where I found it. So if that is your recipe, I apologize. Let me know and I will give credit!!! Anyways, I took that recipe and adapted it to what I had on my shelf and to my taste.





You start by popping your chicken and onion into a stock pot with your oil. EVOO for me! And cook it 2-3 mins, or until no pink is showing.




That doesn't look very appetizing. Oh well. Then you add your spices and garlic. Now it is starting to smell good. This is when I first realized I forgot ingredients in the first photo.



Add half a cup of beer. Now what to do with the rest of the beer. Hmmmm..... *hic* At this point it smelled like spices and beer. But I decided to add some fire-roasted chilis. Oh Yeah! That's the stuff!



The aroma coming off of this was almost enough to break my fever! So good! Once the liquid has reduced down, it's time to add the rest of the ingredients.



It's simmer time.

Can't touch this.

ANYWAYS... I decided to add some chopped kale for the last 10 mins of cooking time. I haven't used kale much in my cooking and thought it was time to give it a try. That was a good choice. It worked beautifully in this dish! Even my 6-year-old ate it without a wrinkled nose and questions of, "what's this?" Hope you will give this a try on a chilly autumn day and then let me know what you thought!  

Chicken Chili.
1 medium onion,
diced 2 cloves garlic, minced
3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
1 - 14 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce 1 cup frozen corn
1 - 14 oz can white beans (the original recipe called for black beans which I think would be excellent as well!)
1 - 4 oz can fire-roasted chili peppers, diced
1/2 cup pale ale beer
2/3 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp cardamon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2-3 tsp salt

Ideas to serve with: shredded cheddar cheese small shell or similiar noodles sour cream fresh chopped cilantro In a large stock pot, cook onion and chicken with 1 - 2 tbsp EVOO over med-high heat. Season well with about 1 tsp salt and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, cardamon, cinnamon and continue to cook 3-4 minutes until chicken is almost cooked. Add beer and chilis. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, until liquid reduces slightly. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes so that flavors can meld. Add chopped kale and simmer for 10 mins more. Season with additional salt to taste. Serve over cooked noodles and top with your choice of toppings.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, this looks delicious! I could sure use a heaping pile of this right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

your turn to share....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

networked blogs