Friday, February 10, 2012

Stewed Meatballs

Slowly transferring over, one by one the recipes from my food blog.  I just don't have time to maintain separate blogs.

Today I am featuring Stewed Meatballs.  These are a family favorite.  So simple.  So budget friendly.  Very adaptable!  Enjoy!







We like these best served with classic mashed potatoes.

Meatballs just added to sauce. A few sprigs of fresh thyme for added flavor
The best part is that the meatballs don't require pre-browning. You just assemble the sauce and drop in the meatballs.  It seriously doesn't get a whole lot easier, while still being homemade and hearty.

Stewed Meatballs

Meatballs
1 lb Ground beef
1/2 cup Dry bread crumbs (I use corn bread suffing mix if I have it on hand. Makes wonderful meatballs!)
1 Egg
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Onion flakes   (to use fresh onion, mince and lightly brown them first, about 2 tbsp)
1 tsp Salt (use less if using a stuffing mix)
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic powder  

Sauce
28 oz. Canned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup Chopped onion
4 oz Canned diced roasted chili peppers (optional)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1-1/2 cups Frozen corn (optional)  

Meatballs: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs. Set aside.  

Sauce: Mix all ingredients except corn together in saucepan. Bring to boil. Add meatballs. Cover. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add corn to sauce during last 5 mins of cooking. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. Serves 4

Variation: to adapt for a slow cooker, brown meatballs before adding to sauce in slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 -6 hours. Add corn during last 15 mins.


Yum!



Link up with other blogger through Showoff Saturday link up! 


4 comments:

  1. That looks amazing- I think I am going to try it tonight~~

    ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Following you on Google+. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours look YUMMY! My hubby does most of the cooking and I keep telling him to cook the meatballs in the sauce...but no...thanks for stopping by...nice to meet you, sweetheart!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look SO tasty! And mashed potatoes. Doesnt get any better! Thanks so much for sharing on Show Off Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

your turn to share....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

networked blogs